Roasted Pumpkin Salad
Enjoy the autumn flavours with Roasted Pumpkin Salad. This delicious weight loss recipe combines tender roasted pumpkin, fresh greens, crunchy nuts, and tangy dressing for a delightful and nutritious meal.
Servings & Nutrition
This recipe serves 2-3 people as a main dish or 4-6 people as a side dish, but it can be easily adjusted to serve more if needed.
- Calories: 250-300
- Total Fat: 17-20g
- Saturated Fat: 2-3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 150-200mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 22-25g
- Dietary Fiber: 5-6g
- Sugars: 12-15g
- Protein: 4-5g
- 1 small squash pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed, and diced into bite-sized pieces
- 6 cups mixed salad greens (spinach, rocket, or baby kale work well)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or pomegranate seeds (for a burst of sweetness)
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts (for added crunch)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese (optional, for tangy creaminess)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup (for a vegan option)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl, toss the diced pumpkin with olive oil, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cumin, salt, and black pepper until evenly coated.
- Spread the seasoned pumpkin pieces in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast the pumpkin in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until tender and slightly caramelised. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey (or maple syrup), Dijon mustard, salt, and black pepper until well combined.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the mixed salad greens, roasted pumpkin, dried cranberries (or pomegranate seeds), and chopped toasted pecans (or walnuts).
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss gently to coat all the ingredients.
- If desired, sprinkle crumbled feta or goat cheese over the salad for a tangy and creamy finish.
Ready to get cooking?
Whether enjoyed as a light lunch or a side dish for a heartier meal, this Roasted Pumpkin Salad is a nutritious and delectable option that celebrates the seasonal produce. Appreciate its warm and cozy flavours, freshness and vibrant colours, and treat yourself to this flavorful and satisfying salad that brings joy to your plate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make the roasted pumpkin in advance?
Yes, you can roast the pumpkin ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Warm it slightly before adding it to the salad.
Can I use a different type of greens in the salad?
Absolutely! Feel free to use your favourite greens, such as baby spinach, arugula, or mixed spring greens, for a variety of textures and flavours.
Can I add other toppings to the salad?
Roasted pumpkin salad is pretty versatile, and you can customise it with additional toppings like sliced apples, roasted beets, or candied pecans for more variety.
Can I serve this salad warm or cold?
You can enjoy the salad warm shortly after roasting the pumpkin or serve it cold by refrigerating the roasted pumpkin and salad greens before assembling.
Can I add grilled chicken or shrimp to make it a complete meal?
Absolutely! Grilled chicken or shrimp would be a delightful addition to this salad, providing extra protein and making it a well-rounded meal.