Hearty Lentil Soup
Warm up with a bowl of Hearty Lentil Soup, packed with protein, fibre, and flavourful vegetables. This nutritious and comforting soup is perfect for cold days and will leave you feeling satisfied and nourished.
Servings & Nutrition
This recipe serves 4-6 people.
- Calories: 220
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 700mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 35g
- Dietary Fibre: 12g
- Sugars: 8g
- Protein: 12g
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if preferred)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh lemon juice (optional, for a tangy finish)
- Fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Rinse and drain the dried lentils.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, diced carrots, and diced celery. Sauté until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add the rinsed lentils, diced tomatoes (with their juice), vegetable broth, water, ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, bay leaf, salt, and black pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper if needed. For a tangy touch, add a splash of fresh lemon juice.
- Serve the Hearty Lentil Soup hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro.
Ready to get cooking?
When chilly weather arrives, there’s nothing better than a steaming bowl of Hearty Lentil Soup to warm your soul. This comforting and nutritious soup is loaded with protein-packed lentils, fibre-rich vegetables, and aromatic herbs and spices. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also easy to make and perfect for satisfying your hunger while nourishing your body.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use red lentils instead of green or brown lentils?
Yes, you can use red lentils in this soup. Keep in mind that red lentils tend to cook faster and may break down more during cooking, resulting in a creamier texture.
Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
Absolutely! Lentil soup is versatile, and you can add other vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, or spinach for extra nutrition and flavour.
Can I use canned lentils instead of dried lentils?
While canned lentils can be used to save time, the texture and flavour of dried lentils will be superior in this soup.
Can I make this soup in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the soup in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The flavours will meld together, making it even more delicious upon reheating.
Can I freeze the leftover lentil soup?
Allow the soup to cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bags. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat when ready to enjoy.